Thursday, September 15, 2011

aubergine/eggplant pasta

I've been saving the aubergine/eggplant we got in the box last week - when I dated a vegetarian, I learned all sorts of really good aubergine recipes, and I was looking forward to using one. I'm delighted Taproot has managed to produce good-sized aubergines! I didn't even know you could do that in this climate.

Anyways, tonight's dinner was taken from the Paradiso Seasons cookbook - one of the best vegetarian cookbooks ever, and a lovely restaurant too (if you're ever in Cork, Ireland, make sure you go). Usually I mess with recipes a little, but tonight the only change I made was from 4 whole dried bird's-eye chillies to a tsp of dried crushed red chillies.

Aubergine/Eggplant Pasta sauce
1 eggplant, in small dice
olive oil
2 sprigs rosemary
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp grated ginger
2 tsp coriander
2 sprigs thyme
5 fresh tomatoes, diced
120 ml (about half a cup) red wine
2 tsp tomato puree
salt

Toss the aubergine in olive oil & rosemary and roast at 400 until they're browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally. Cook onions in a bit of oil in a large wok or pan for 5 minutes. Add garlic, spices, and leaves from the thyme. Cook 2 minutes more. Add tomatoes, wine and tomato puree. Bring to a boil then simmer 20 minutes or until thick. Add the roasted aubergine and cook another 10 minutes. Add salt; serve with pasta and some parmesan. (Olives on the side were good too.)

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment